Nearly all naturally occurring water sources contain fluoride – a compound that has been proven to prevent and even reverse tooth decay.
Cavities are caused by certain bacteria in the mouth. When a person eats sugar and other refined carbohydrates, these bacteria produce acid that removes minerals from the surface of the tooth. Fluoride helps to re-mineralize tooth surfaces and prevents cavities from continuing to form.
There are many benefits of fluoride for almost every patient. Here are some of our favorites:
- Fluoride strengthens teeth and reduces cavities. It is effective systemically and topically.
- Community water fluoridation is the single most effective public health measure to prevent cavities and is the most efficient to prevent one of the most common childhood diseases – dental decay. (5 times more common than asthma and 7 times more common than hay fever in 5- to 17-year-olds.)
- Simply by drinking tap water, people can benefit from cavity protection whether they are at home, work or school. And it’s cheaper than buying bottled water.
- Dry mouth syndrome, caused by many medications, decreases the amount of saliva produced and can make an individual more prone to cavities.
- As people age, manual dexterity often times does not allow for optimal brushing habits and their sense of taste craves more sweet, sugary foods, which in turn produces more cavity-causing bacteria.
- If there is a patient history of frequent cavities, this is a big help!
We offer several types of fluoride treatments. Our preferences are fluoride varnish, applied after your regular hygiene appointment, MI Paste Plus, a take-home fluoride product that re-mineralizes teeth, or we offer different prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste. Ask for them at your next visit!