During pregnancy, it’s more important than ever to be a diligent brusher and flosser. Why? Because those crazy pregnancy hormones leave your mouth more vulnerable to bacteria and plaque, both of which can make your already sensitive gums (thanks again, hormones!) even more tender.
Here are smart dental strategies to think about every day during pregnancy:
- Brush your tongue as well as your teeth to minimize the number of bacteria in your mouth.
- Skip the sweets, especially when you won’t be able to brush your teeth soon after indulging.
- Make sure you get plenty of vitamin C in your diet, which strengthens gums and reduces the chances of bleeding.
- Consume plenty of calcium to keep your teeth (and your bones) strong.
- Can’t brush after a meal? Try chewing a piece of sugarless gum or grabbing a handful of nuts (unless you’re allergic) or a small chunk of cheese. All have antibacterial properties.